The firm offers a full range of legal services to ship owners, charterers, ship managers and ship financing institutions. Advice is given on the sale and purchase of vessels, ship registration charter agreements, ship financing and registration of mortgages. Our team is experienced in the drafting and preparation of contracts and forms relating to shipping matters and dealing with the shipping registry and its officers.
Our services include
- Incorporation of shipping companies in Malta;
- Registration of vessels in Malta Ship Registry;
- Drafting of specific memorandum and articles dependant on client’s requests;
- Drafting of agreements and deeds relating to yacht leasing, short-term yacht chartering and registration of ship mortgages;
- Our accounts officers will oversee the registration process with tax authorities, while offering necessary advice as sought by interested clients, and abiding by the deadlines for the filing and payment of tax.
The formation of Maltese Companies is straightforward, allowing for same day incorporation. A company may be registered under the Merchant Shipping Act instead of the Companies Act and thus be deemed as a Shipping Organisation if the principle object/s is one or more of those found under Article 84Z of the Merchant Shipping Act. The Company shall still be deemed to be a private limited company; however it will be subject to fewer restrictions:
- Incorporation is faster and more straightforward.
- There are no restrictions on nationality of Shareholders and Directors.
- There is no requirement to have a secretary.
- There is no requirement to file financial statements, even though this is being reviewed.
We shall be catering for specific memorandum and articles according to the client’s requests, apart from handling registration and submission of all necessary documents.
Our legal team will be responsible for the drafting of agreements and deeds relating to yacht leasing, short-term yacht chartering and registration of ship mortgages. Our accounts officers will oversee the registration process with tax authorities, while offering necessary advice as sought by interested clients, and abiding by the deadlines for the filing and payment of tax.
Why register a vessel under the Malta flag?
- EU Register;
- Safe, credible, quality Register and on While List of Paris MoU on Port State Control;
- Applicable to all IMO conventions and EU Directives;
- Vessels may be registered in the name of legally constituted corporate bodies or entities irrespective of nationality;
- No restriction as to the nationality of the captain, officers or crew;
- Competitive registration and maintenance fees
- Registration on a 24/7 basis by the MMA;
- Ship owners, operators and creditors benefit from attractive tax incentives;
- Various types of vessels can be registered from super yachts to vessels still under construction;
- Many economic benefits such as:
- Low company formation and registration costs;
- No restriction or taxation on the sale or transfer of shares of a company owning a Maltese ship;
- No restriction or taxation on the sale or mortgaging of a Maltese registered vessel.